Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Culture Creates Connection


For Purple Drank’s excursion, we met up on College Avenue and made our way to a familiar place for many Rutgers students: Jimmy John’s.  Jimmy John’s has quickly become a college student’s staple on Easton Avenue, and in a tough economy where students would rather steal from Brower (that back door is just too convenient for walking out with something) or cook in their apartments than pay for sandwiches, one has to wonder how Jimmy John’s as a company has thrived rather than gone under as many others have. 

Earlier in the semester, I had the pleasure of making a trip to Penn State to visit their Dance Marathon. I recall vividly driving through State College, PA, and seeing the usual. Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, Subway, and then out the window I saw a Jimmy John’s and got excited enough to announce to everyone in the car with me “Look, they have a Jimmy John’s too!” If I see a McDonald’s, it’s as if it was invisible.  But when I see those two red J’s, I instantly feel a little piece of the home I’ve made in New Brunswick. Which led me to think, what is it that they do differently which causes my over excited reaction?

After visiting the store and doing a little background research, there’s one thing I believe truly sums up the success of Jimmy John’s, and that is its culture.  Students know Jimmy John’s partially for its sandwiches, and partially because it maintains a strong culture in its locations.  Whether or not Jimmy John’s is somewhere you frequent, most students have at least seen them on campus giving out free sandwiches, many know the signature Jimmy John’s delivery guy who is always on his bike, rain or shine, and Jimmy John’s has a way of making its customers feel like their experience is personalized, and they are cared for. 

When you walk into the Jimmy John’s store, the place is filled with quirky signs and sayings that make simply eating in the store an enjoyable experience, and you find yourself looking on the walls for their entertainment than simply trying to finish and leave.  They have T-shirts you can order online (In the “Buy Some JJ’s Stuff” section) that say “Some say I’m freaky…Freaky FAST!” in reference to their quick delivery times, but obviously playing to the sense of humor of their customers.  Jimmy John’s seems to have what they admit is an “irreverent” attitude. Simply, they just don’t take themselves too seriously! They have fun with their company, and they allow their customers to share in their work culture and the love they have for what they do. Check out one of their commercials at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2e5Ybt3rK8. Their commercials are consistently funny, light hearted, and really embrace their irreverent attitude.  

Now although NSO isn’t trying to sell sandwiches, we are similar to Jimmy John’s in that we’re selling a culture.  We didn’t create this entire Rutgers culture. We stepped into it and changed with it as every new student does.  But we can find success in our program as Jimmy John’s has found success on our campus by observing how each customer feels a strong connection to the Jimmy John’s culture, and attempting to ensure that every student in the NSO program has a strong hold on the Rutgers culture that it is our job to embody. We want every Rutgers “R” and Scarlet Knight to feel like home, like me getting overly excited about a Jimmy John’s in State College. As we go into this summer, identify the aspects of Rutgers culture that you love and you want new students to understand and learn to love as well. Don’t be afraid to share this with them. We want our students to feel a strong connection to our University, and Jimmy John’s has shown that culture creates the connection.

Jimmy John, in speaking about his company and his sandwiches, said, “My momma always told me that all you have in your life is your integrity. She also told me that the best cooks cook with a lot of love in their heart.  Well, I have lots of love, I try to live my life by doing unto others, and I could never ever BS you on ingredients. Besides, if I did, my momma would kick my butt real hard. Maybe we’re not talking about ingredients, and maybe Courtney can’t actually kick anyone’s butt without the fear of a lawsuit. But just as Jimmy John works to uphold the standards of his family, I hope we can all learn from him and his company by going into the summer working to uphold the standards of our Rutgers family, and showing new students the best our strong Rutgers culture has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment