Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Don't Stop Believin'

What do you think of when you first hear the word waiter


Most of the time, people recall the moments when restaurant waiters have either messed up their orders, took too long to serve food, or were just plain disrespectful. However, there have also been those special moments when we have had great service, and we can usually tell from the moment the waiter introduces him or herself. It’s in their voice, their body language, their facial expressions, and their energy. It’s their character and personality shining through for all to see. Now, add singing to that persona, and you have the waiters at Stardust Diner.


Stardust Diner, located in Times Square in New York City, is home to future broadway and TV stars—their signature singing waiters. As soon as my color team, Green Movement, entered the retro-designed restaurant, we were surrounded by waiters in their distinct purple and blue uniforms, walls covered with celebrity photos, and the sound of Justin Bieber’s Baby being sung by a waitress. For some, it may have looked like just another diner, but the distinct feature of energetic, singing waiters puts Stardust on a whole different level. That is how they attract their customers, and, to simply put it, it works


Meet Sean!
 Although Green Movement enjoyed a wide variety of diner food from chicken fingers and fries to pasta and milkshakes, the biggest treat for us was meeting our genuinely kind and passionate waiter, Sean. It’s not every day that his customers want to informally interview him as he serves food, so we were at first unsure of how he would take it, but the moment we asked, he was on board. Sean shared such a wide range of information with us, such as his personal philosophies and how he feels about his job, but the following points are what stuck with me the most, especially in terms of my own value system and my role as a NSO staff member.


1. As a waiter, as a human being, Sean has his bad days, but that doesn’t stop him from getting the job done. In fact, he appreciates the uniqueness of his position because the singing actually “refocuses him.” That’s the attitude I aspire to use for NSO. Like we’ve learned in class, play space works because it gives us the freedom to do our job with creativity and lightheartedness. I want to use that positive energy as my fuel for the summer, especially during the tough times. 
I want to sing! 
I want to dance! 
I want to play games! 
Knowing that I can do all of this with NSO is what makes me love this organization. 


 2. Sean shared with us his belief that “Two people can go through the same experience, but get different things out of it. I like to practice gratitude.” This especially resonated with me because it helped me achieve a greater respect for diverse perspectives. To Sean, this job is a stepping-stone for his true aspirations in the film industry, yet he still remains thankful for the opportunity he has been given and makes the most of it too. He even met his current girlfriend through Stardust. And it’s not just Sean, but everyone he works with. “We all feel lucky.” That’s the mentality I currently have for NSO, and I don’t want that to change. In fact, my gratitude towards NSO grows with each week (especially through our leadership class), because I have found some great friends and even found myself as a Rutgers student and as a better person, through NSO. I really am thankful for what it has given me and what is yet to come. 
Sean and Green Movement!
 3. Lastly, the quote I want to leave you with is “I believe in personal responsibility. You only go as far as you allow yourself to.” Yes, Sean shared these wise words with us, and I cannot agree more. As individuals, and especially as leaders, we have so much potential to accomplish greatness and change the world for the better. Some may call that corny or cliché, but I see it as a reality for me. I want to make an impact on other people’s lives for the greater good of mankind, through my education, through NSO, through my aspirations and talents. I want to travel the world and explore every space and corner to gain a greater appreciation for its diversity and learn about life beyond my comfort zone. I want to live a life worth living, and THAT is how far I’m allowing myself to go

As the cherry on top, Sean performed Journey’s Don’t Stop Believin’ before we left. Maybe it was the universe speaking to me, or maybe it was just a funny coincidence. Either way, I know that song means that much more to me now.


Hold onto that feeling.



(If you want to hear Sean sing, here's a video!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy someone did their blog post about him! I love him so much!

    ReplyDelete