Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Jessica is going to college!

I am part of a VERY big family, so every year there are endless amounts of special events.  One event that I am particularly excited for is my cousin's high school graduation.  Jessica is graduating from Bishop Ahr High School in Edison, New Jersey.  I was lucky enough to find time in her very busy schedule to sit down and have a conversation with her about her thoughts and expectations of college.  The following post breaks down the questions I asked her and her responses:

Georges: What are your top 3 college choices right now?  Why those schools?
Jessica: I am currently looking at Seton Hall, Fashion Institute of Technology, and of course, Rutgers.  I like that Seton Hall is a small school located close to home, and I feel like I would be comfortable in a small school setting.  I have always wanted to go into fashion, so I applied to FIT to see what the school has to offer me.  Finally, I chose Rutgers because I've grown up down the street from it my entire life.  A lot of my family members (i.e. her cool cousin Georges) go there and love it, so I think that I will, too.  Plus, it's so close to home, I can see my mom and dad whenever, which is so awesome.

Georges: What are you most excited for about college?
Jessica:  I cannot wait for my independence.  I absolutely adore my parents, but I also cannot wait to be in charge of myself.  I think I'm at the right age that I can start making decisions for myself.  I have always felt the need to do my own thing, so I think I am going to thrive at whatever school I attend.  I also want to meet as many new people as possible.  I want to make the best friends of my life, and though I have such amazing people in my life now, I know there is room for more.  I mean, there is always room for more! My graduating class this year is going to be about 300 students.  I know them too well.  I want to be in a situation where I can meet new people every day.  

Georges: Are you nervous that the relationships you have with your friends are going to change?
Jessica: I live by this quote, and that's all I'm going to say about that question.  "Friends forever. Never Apart. Maybe by distance but never at heart."

Georges: Do you think the transition is going to be hard going from a small catholic school to a college classroom?
Jessica: Ahhh don't scare me!  I know it's going to be tough, but I wouldn't say that I am scared.  I think anxious is the better word.  I'm anxious just to get in the swing of things.  I know this sounds weird, but I really like studying, so I don't think that I'm going to struggle with the academics.  I'm an honors student now, so I think I'll be able to handle it.  Ew, sorry if that sounded conceited.

Georges: What is your biggest fear about the whole college process?
Jessica: I don't want to feel like I made the wrong decision.  There are SO many factors that shift my thoughts about what college I want to attend every single day.  I want to feel 100% confident in my decision, which makes this very scary.  I know I can transfer schools if I don't end up liking it, but I don't want to think that far in advance.  I want to be proud of my decision.

Georges:  This is a little similar to the last question, but what is your biggest fear about college itself?
Jessica: I'm scared of the little things.  I don't want to gain the infamous 'freshman fifteen.'  I don't want to get lost going to class.  I don't want to sit in a class and never get to meet my professor.  Those may sound dumb, but these are all I hear about in movies.  I know thats immature, but what else do I have to base my expectations on?  I'm also afraid that if I go to a school that isn't very close to home, like FIT, I'm going to get so busy that I won't be able to see my mom and dad very often.  I know that contradicts my independent girl rant I went on earlier, but I'm a girl who loves home cooked meals and nice hug from my dad.

Georges: Well if you go to Rutgers, you do know that I am going to be one of your Orientation Leaders, right?
Jessica: Yes, but don't try to cramp my style.  I was always the cool one in the family, so don't embarrass me.


The conversation was interesting to say the least, and I feel that I really got into Jessica's mind.  She is a beautiful and intelligent girl, and I know that any college will be lucky to have her.  Also, if she does end up choosing Rutgers, I am DEFINITELY going to try my best to cramp her style :).  


Here is a picture of the two of us as children

This is us together, now!  She grew up so quickly :/!

No comments:

Post a Comment