Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Home Sweet Home


 

             
For the Gold Team’s class excursion we went to Tastee Sub Shop in my hometown of Edison, NJ. Tastee has always been my favorite sub shop and I always got a sub from there whenever I could when I was little. This business has no flashy stars or grand elaborate scheme to attract customers, but it attracts thousands of customers each and every week. The reason is because to me this sub shop screams hospitality and makes me feel like home every time I walk into it. The same people who have been working there ever since I was younger still work there and love what they do. When you love what you do you never work a day in your life some say. Their small town family shop kind of feel is why I choose this location. I based my decision off of my experiences I had going their when I was growing up, but also because I personally see the way I conduct an orientation group in this businesses values. There are many fine establishments to go to, but Tastee reflects many lessons orientation leaders learn through what they do over the summer. 
              What I asked everyone in my group to do after our excursion was to write just a paragraph reflection on the trip to Tastee as a reflection for them. I also learned a great deal about the history and traditions Tastee Sub Shop has like Rutgers does. Starting as soda pop shop in the old days, Tastee transformed with the vision of David Thornton into a famous mom and pop type of establishment. We sat down in the very small shop and started to ask questions to Dave when my favorite part of the whole day happened. He started to answer the first question when another customer walked in a he immediately greeted him. Many people would find this simple gesture meaningless, but for me this shows me that he knows his customers. For orientation it is very important to be personable and show every student or family member we take the time to get to know them and show them we care about what they have to say. Also, two of the Gold Team members, Dan Carballeira and Monica Fung, made great points in their reflections. Dave talked about how you need to be humble and friendly to all your customers. Also, you have to go above and beyond for your customers to ensure their satisfaction and to guarantee they will return. This relates to every single part of orientation. Whether its answering phone calls, doing parent/family orientation, or the game show, all our staff has to be able to make a great impression.


 

           
           What I hoped the Gold team learned through this experience was a little bit of why we do what we do for orientation. We make sure that every single first-year feels welcomed at Rutgers, like Dave does to his customers. I love to get to know my first-years and be able to direct them towards areas they are interested in. Orientation Leaders have many areas they know a lot about, but not every orientation leader knows about all the services Rutgers has to offer. That is what we as orientation leaders last year did for students who had questions about an area they were not fully knowledgeable in. Teamwork is very huge in the sub shop. Tastee has their own way of teamwork which has to deal with the people stocking and are behind the scenes and the ones on stage on the line. Every person has their own important job to keep the sub line moving efficiently. Dave said it looks easy, but can get easily overrun if you are not used to huge rushes. For example, when we were there the person who took the order, while cutting the meat, would have almost four orders of meat and cheese in his head at a time. Very talented people were on display Dave liked to say. Customer service and making sure you never looked frazzled is a talent you have to learn on the job. I relate this back to teaching when everyday you go to work and you can’t show that you are mad or sad or tired, you have to be lively and friendly Dave likes to say. This almost directly relates to Orientation Leaders who have to be live for their groups this summer and should be showing every person in their group a great first impression of Rutgers.   

No comments:

Post a Comment