Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

GO TO CLASS


My first year has been so AMAZING! One of the main reasons this is so is my RA Kim. From the very first hall meeting I knew I was in for something crazy- I mean SPECIALJ. She is always so energetic and enthusiastic about Rutgers and life on campus. She always keeps us posted on new events happening on campus and opportunities to get involved. She’s graduating this year with a degree in Journalism and Media Studies with a minor in Psychology. She’s the BEST!

What made you want to become an RA?

My first year I had a bomb dot com RA, Shanelle and she was real cool whenever we needed something.  She always had a solution for everything. My sophomore year I also got really tight with my RA. I liked what they did; it was cool. Wanted to appeal to students and help somebody on their way.



Have you ever lived on another campus? If so how does it differ from living on Livingston?

I lived on College Ave my freshman year and hated it! I come from a city area and College Ave is the closest thing to it, that’s why I picked it. I just felt like everyone went wild all the time. It’s cool sometimes but it was too much for me, I wanted time to yourself end of the day. I’ve also lived on Douglas; it was too far from everything. I ended up transferring to Livingston and stayed ever since.



What do you think are the positives to living on Livingston your first year?

What isn’t a positive? My first year I didn’t live here but I was always here. Unlike others it provides a better community feeling. People joke around and call it the “quadjects” like the projects but it builds a good base for people to get to know each other and always see each other. You see the same faces.



What’s your favorite part of being an RA in a freshman dorm?

That everybody listens to me! Just kidding. It’s cool because I get to help first years out a lot. Second and third years need their help but they are more independent. I like being a RA because I serve as that guide. it gives me a change to open up and be available to their need. I call them my kids because their like my babies even though their grown. I get to get involved.



How is being an RA in a discovery house different from a traditional dorm?

It is a lot different though I didn’t notice in the beginning. They all already know each other due to sharing the same classes. It makes it easier for me to help everyone interact.



What has been your biggest struggle as an RA?

It would have to be seeing any of my residents going through anything physically or mentally. That’s always tough. I know we all have breakdowns due to stress here in college or work but I think having to see any in that situation is really tough. It sucks because I ask myself what I can do to make things better. As an RA I grow such a close bond with them.  I genuine care about them and want to help.



What are some struggles or challenges first years should be aware of? Any advice?

Aside from freshman 15 where u gain 15 pounds, It’s so easy not to go to class because lecture halls are nothing like high school classrooms and it becomes really easy to slip up. There’s so much going on on campus. Being aware of surroundings and prioritize. Be aware of resources; there are things I didn’t find out about until my junior year. Find hobbies on campus and get involved. There’s always something always to cater t o you.



What would you tell your freshman self if you had the chance?

GO TO CLASS! I failed a class my freshman year because I didn’t go as often as I should have.



What is your biggest take away from your years at Rutgers?

Everything, absolutely everything. When I did realize all the opportunities Rutgers had to offer, I abused them. I got involved in everything and anything and I made sure I found something I was good at.  I also learned to learn all that I could. Not only in classes but in work as well. Working at The Targum and RUtv has taught me a lot. All of my Hands-on experience, my residence people I’ve met, friends I will forever remember.

Kim with her residents  J

Interviewing Kim not only got me to know her better, it made me reflect a lot of my freshman year here at Rutgers. The fact that she really cares about her residence really shows that she didn’t just take up the job for free housing. She loves Livingston and explains that it has the best community feeling out of the five Rutgers campuses, which I agree. She gives really good advice to first year students that I wish I took. She advises students to take advantage of every opportunity thrown your way. And most importantly GO TO CLASS!

- Edson J. Martinez

No comments:

Post a Comment