Pages

Wednesday, February 8, 2012



Career Services: The Best Resource on Campus 
(Even for First Years!)



Rutgers University can be an overwhelming place for first years because there is so just so much that this university has to offer, that you do not know where to start. Well if you are having any time deciding, let me strongly encourage starting at career services.

“Now wait a minute, career services? For a freshman? I don’t even know what I want my major to be? Plus, I just want to do well in my classes for the first semester, maybe I’ll check it out next year.” This is a common attitude for many first years and I agree that any first year’s main priority should be grades. However, career services is such a valuable resource that should be taken advantage of one by everyone. No, it’s not always “fun” but when you graduate college with two internships under your belt and a job waiting for you, you will be happy that you stopped in the office or checked out an event.


Story Time

Personally, career services has already impacted my life in a very big way in only my second semester:

"Within the first few weeks of being at Rutgers, I was given the incentive to attend a mock career fair and an actual career fair in exchange for some extra credit points in my business forum class. Although I initially only went for the extra points, I can say now that it was one of the smartest decisions I made as a first year."

Important Message: If you take anything away from this blog post it is this:  “IT IS NEVER TOO EARLY TO START THINKING ABOUT YOUR CAREER”.  Even if you are undecided about a major, career services is still a valuable resource.

"When I went to the mock career fair, I only planned on staying for a half hour maximum and then going back home. However, my plans changed immediately when I saw all of the valuable resources they had to offer and I ended up staying for nearly two and a half hours and in the process, I learned a lot of crucial skills including resume writing, interviewing skills and how to conduct myself professionally in a business setting. Then a few days later, at the actual career fair, I was able to explore multiple different career options, discover companies to potentially intern/work for and establish connections with recruiters. In fact, at the third company I approached that day (Johnson & Johnson), I was asked to keep a running email dialogue with one of the recruiters (even though I had no experience, the recruiter just liked my enthusiasm as a freshman) and to this day, we still talk and are currently discussing possible internships and co-ops for me next fall or next spring. However, most importantly, it gave me confidence that Rutgers was giving me the proper resources that I needed so I can be successful in life once I graduate."

Another Important Message: Just because you are a freshman, do not think going to a career fair is a waste of time. Recruiters like the fact you are enthusiastic and are eager to start thinking about your career and your efforts will be rewarded. 



Treat Yourself like an Athlete in Training...Trust Me, It'll Make Sense in a Second

For a second, pretend you are an athlete and getting a job is like making it to the pros and college is the intense training that you’re going through so you can be ready for the big leagues. Although college (and intense training) will prepare you for the pros, you need to take additional steps to ensure your success. In addition to training, make sure you stretch before your workout, have the proper footwear, find a way of staying hydrated, maintaining a healthy diet and taking the necessary steps to recover after the workout is complete. You could get make the pros without doing these things, but by taking care of yourself and going the extra mile, you set yourself up for a much better chance of getting the most out of training and making it.

By going to career services, you are taking the extra, necessary steps and going the extra mile. By not attending any career services events or visiting the office, you can potentially get a job after graduating but why take the risk? Give yourself the best chance to get a job and by starting freshman year, you will have the edge (over those who waited longer to visit career services and those who never went at all) you need to be successful. So maintain a healthy diet and do your stretches so you can make it to the big leagues after four short years. But you got to start now!

No comments:

Post a Comment