Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Create a Career with Career Services


So you’re entering college, right? It seems scary. You’ve gone through your schooling for the past 12 or so years perfectly fine, and now suddenly you’re paying $25,000 and you feel like you’ve been thrown into an huge arena where the way out is a tiny flicker in the distance. Interview skills? As long as I’m charismatic, I’m fine, right? Resume? Yeah, I’ll just resume with my one from college applications? Don’t even get me started on cover letters.
The end goal
Career services provides many events to help college students spruce up resumes, improve interview skills, and even find internships and ultimately land a job upon graduation. They have plenty of tips on how to become the best you can get your foot in the door and prove just how handy you are. Let me tell you of a little tale of my first time at an internship fair.
So, here’s me. The short dirty blonde hair guy, checking my email. Inside was an email about an internship fair. I thought to myself, “Hey, Will! You’re a sophomore. You need to get on those internships. Why not just step on in, sell yourself a bit, and see how it goes.” Let’s do this.
Be forewarned, I was not prepared.
So, let’s begin the check list.
Did I have a suit? No.
Mildly dressed for success? No.
A resume? No.
A business card? No.
What I came in was falling short of any bit of success. I came empty handed, wearing my signature button down shirt and short/capris hybrid that sent the message of, “Look at me! I go to college and I woke up maybe five minutes ago!”
In short, a summary of my life
Let’s just take my mistake and grow from it. I know I sure have. When going to a career fair, networking event, or even an internship fair, dress at least business casual. A solid button shirt, with a tie and khakis is a minimum. A business jacket looks fantastic.
Beyond dress, as I’m not expert, involves general internship fair etiquette. Bring a long a resume. Strive for business cards. Talk to as many people are possible. Showcase yourself and explain your interests and how they reflect on the company you’re speaking with. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment