Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Do I Look Scared To You?

Kareem and Johnny had close to zero thoughts or insight. Fears about college? “None.” Excitements? “Leaving home.” Anything else? “No.” And so began the interview process with two high school seniors who planned on attending college in the Fall of 2012. (Go figure). Fortunately, after posing and manipulating a series of questions, both guys relayed some pertinent information that spoke to not only them, as a means of self-reflection, but it also spoke to me, as a student leader. Both, Lindenwold High senior, Kareem Fisher (aka. Brother, not my blood brother though) and Paul VI High School senior, John Panichella (aka. Johnny), expressed an overall sense that there would be no more having mommy pack their lunches. No more jammed lockers. No more G.I. Joes. And, they are ecstatic about such circumstances! They truly look forward to delving into the world of college, and nothing at this point can hold these small-town, determined gentlemen back—not even their minimal, yet tiresome, stresses and fears.

I started with the Lindenwold Captain of the Varsity Soccer Team, Stage Crew President, and leader in his own right, Kareem Fisher:

Chris: “I'm doing an interview with high school seniors who are planning to go off to college this Fall... is that you?”

Brother Kareem: “Si.”

We’re getting places!

Planning to attend Saint Joseph’s University in Philadelphia, PA, and major in Psychology, Fisher entered the college process calm, cool, and collective. He didn’t stress over his application, he didn’t fret over his SATs, and he certainly did not stop enjoying his senior year of high school in exchange for getting accepted to a college. He searched for a happy medium between buckling down to get into the college of his choice, and enjoying his last taste of his high school years! He’s not all too scared. With that said, the only fears he expressed were fears of “not applying [himself] as much as [he] should, and being stuck out on [his] own”. I even learned more about how he is a hardworking young man, and he simply wants to stay that way. Logical fears those are, but he doesn’t meditate on them, for he is stoked to start a new chapter of his life:

Chris: “What are your excitements about college?”

Brother Kareem: “My excitements are that I get to go away, and be on my own, and experience life, and start over, and hang and meet new different people, and learn things from them.”

Surely, Fisher’s realization of his fears, positive attitude, and excitement will add to more than just the last of his high school years, but also his years while in college.

Next, I decided to get the perspective of a Scarlet Knight-in-training. Planning to major in Journalism and Media Studies here at Rutgers University, John Panichella, in harmony with Kareem, is a leader and highly active in his high school. Being first chair flute in the Paul VI band, Editor-in-Chief of his own online media outlet, and an advocate for anti-bullying, Panichella is primarily excited to take all of his passions, determination, and excitement from the high school playground (Hahaha! Just kidding) to the college campus:

Chris: “What are your excitements about college?”

Johnny: “I have so many excitements about college! I can’t wait to meet new people, experience new things, and live in an entirely new atmosphere. I love socializing with people and getting to know everyone, so after so many years in the same place it is somewhat exciting to get to meet a whole new batch of people. I’m also excited to live in a new atmosphere on my own, and seeing how able I am to provide for myself. I can’t wait to have a more adult-like role and being in a more city like environment.”

Chris: “Why are you so excited about Rutgers!?”

Johnny: “Rutgers is my first choice because I love the environment. There’s never a dull moment and there’s countless things to do and places to visit. My cousin goes to Rutgers so it will be nice to hang out with him more often as well. I also love that Rutgers is close to NYC so I can visit The City in my free time. I look forward to hanging out with new people, going to NYC, taking courses in things I am interested in, and living on my own.”

Chris: “Cool beans!

Panichella truly cannot wait until he gets to Rutgers! Although his college search has come to an end, he does not forget all that he has endured to be considered a Scarlet Knight. He took the arduous time to focus on test scores, his grades, and being involved, and while those things all appeal to colleges, he also never forgot his intrinsic motivation to do the things that he loves to do. He is excited- simple as that. When asked about his fears, he replied with the following:

“I can’t say that I have that many fears about college. I’ve always loved meeting new people, and moving forward in life. I guess the only thing that I’m a little worried about is having to start over. No matter what I did in life, it has all been in this same town, with a lot of the same friends and family around. It’s weird to think that in a few months I’ll be leaving everything I know behind. I’m definitely going to miss my friends, family, and even my town.”

John let me know that he is, of course, going to miss all that he is currently accustomed to, but in time, he will be acclimated to Rutgers, and any of his fears will soon be nonexistent.

I gained a lot from these two guys. They are not really afraid of anything, in terms of leaving off for college, and I believe that it is their positive perspectives that hinder the rising of most of their fears. Indeed, they are preparing to not only survive in college, but thrive as well. As the Thriving Quotient puts it, “…Students with a positive perspective keep trying… this perspective leads to more effective problem solving, stronger relationships, and a more enjoyable college experience” (Schreiner 6). As an Orientation Leader, it remains my job to keep such a perspective alive, encourage, and relay that fears can be overcame—so why not flourish off of the excitements and the positives!


No comments:

Post a Comment