Pages

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Steering that Leader-Ship


If you are interested in an incredibly fulfilling position on campus, allow Jeffrey Chen to tell you about his experience as a resident assistant.  The 4th year Material Science and Engineering student is balancing his RA life while being in Phi Sigma Kappa and taking on 22 credits this semester.  (Yes, 22 credits.)  If he is not at the library studying his brains out, he is spending his time being on the Davidson B floor with his first year students.    

Jeffrey was kind enough to take some time out of his schedule to speak to me about his full-time job.  This is how the interview went.






Ray: Hello Jeffrey.

Jeffrey: Please, call me Jeff.

Ray: Alright Jeff, let’s cut to the chase because you are such a busy person. What made you want to apply for the resident assistant position?

Jeff: Sadly, it’s my last year at Rutgers so I want to make an impact on first year students and enlighten them with my knowledge of RU, classes, etc.

Ray: How do you like being on a first-year floor?

Jeff: People are always doing something, whether it is 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning. I love the atmosphere because other residence halls with upperclassmen already have friends and aren’t interested in meeting new people or doing stuff. First years are willing to try new activities and seek fun in everything which makes my life exciting.

Ray: What kind of activities has your floor participated in?

Jeff: We got second place in the Pink Volleyball tournament because of my height.

Ray: How tall are you?

Jeff: Almost 6’1. We also had pool tournaments against the other Davidson floors and the winner gets a pizza party. Unfortunately, my floor did not win because I could use my height skills to our advantage.

Ray: (Laughing) I’m sorry, better luck next time. What is your perspective on the first year student experience?

Jeff: My perspective is a bit nostalgic. I see a lot of typical first year behavior which I used to have. They are unsure of what they want to do with their lives, yet happy that they have obtained the next level of freedom. Such as staying up pass their bed time, making decisions on which campus to eat for dinner, and mingle to meet new people. Pretty much feeling like they are the rulers of the whole campus.

Ray: What are the first year student’s needs and struggles you have noticed?

Jeff: Most, if not all, of them need money and a job. Struggles? It would have to be their time management skills. Luckily for them, they have an amazing RA that can bite off more than he can chew so I know all about time management.

Ray: Has any of your time management skills rub off on the first year students?

Jeff: Actually, I would say about 90% of them. I provided each of them with a planner in the beginning of their first semester and I told them “if you want to succeed, this is what you need to carry at all time.” So, I ask them bring their planners to every meetings and during out discussions, they raise their planners if they have something to say.

Ray: That’s very interesting. Do you have any advice for people desiring to be an RA?

Jeff: The RA is the captain of the ship and overlooks the crew to steer it in the right direction.  There will be a numerous amount of unexpected storms along the journey, but it is your job to put everyone’s safety first.  I'll admit, it’s a lot of work and responsibility, but if you can get everyone on board to participate, the ride will be very smooth. Most importantly, you genuinely want to be there to help them or no one will have a good experience.  Building that sense of community will instigate comfort in order to can gain trust in your crew members.  I was blessed with an unforgettable floor that made my journey remarkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment