Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

 High School Senior Planning on Attending College: Eager Anticipation.


    Transitioning into college from high school can be a stressful experience, but at the same time it is an exciting experience. A student goes from an environment in which parents and teachers are constantly on the look out for them, to an environment in which the student needs to be responsible for themselves, and subsequently gains a greater sense of independence. Melissa, who went to high school with me at Toms River HS North, is excited to start her college experience next year, but worries about whether or not she will be successful in college and if she is going to “fit in”. She is considering attending Rutgers- it is currently one of her top schools. However, there are a multitude of concerns that come to mind when she thinks of a school as enormous as RU. What some students fail to realize though is that they are not the only ones with these worries; there are many other students who are worrying about the same issues.

    She had called me last week for some guidance on deciding between the University of Delaware and Rutgers University. She had already been on a tour of both of the schools, but she wanted to hear first-hand opinions and advice from a current university student. This goes to show how much high school seniors entering college value the opinions of the students who attend the institution that they are interested in. Questions ranged from, “How do you manage your time? Are the classes a lot more difficult than high school? How did you adjust to living on your own? What if I don’t like my roommate? What are the students and professors really like there? Are you really just a number at a big institution?- I hear people say that all the time.. Will I be alone? Or will there be people there to help me if I need help with something? ”. I answered all her questions to the best of my abilities and explained that at whichever college she chooses to attend, she will be successful, get those good grades, and make those friendships as long as she is determined to work hard, has the willingness to learn and makes the right choices. Incoming students may need that sense of encouragement that everything will be alright and that surviving and thriving is not impossible as long as they are being proactive and believe in themselves. Soon after comforting Melissa, it seemed as if her fears subsided and she seemed more eager and excited than worried and unsure.



    Our opinions as Orientation Leaders have such a profound affect on students- more than we may even know. Giving an incoming student your undivided attention and showing confidence in them can help them believe in themselves more, ease their tensions, and change their mindsets for the better. Melissa’s questions started to then lean towards questions such as, “What is there to do for fun on campus?.. What are you involved in? And how can I get involved too? I just don’t know where to start, but I’m excited!”. That last quote stood out to me:

    “I just don’t know where to start, but I’m excited!”

It reminded me much of myself, I had no idea how I was going to get involved, and where I’d end up. But as time ticks forward, matters start to fall into place. Already being proactive searching getinvolved.rutgers.edu, Melissa is exploring her options. College I feel is about the journey, and learning as much as you can through the experiences you go through. Melissa is glad to know that she is capable of handling college and cannot wait to arrive. I know that she will grow and do big things in life.

-Paula

No comments:

Post a Comment