Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

My Dorm Room

As a first year, the most common question I'm asked (besides name and major) is "Where do you live?" I reply, "Edison, what about you?" Thinking I misunderstood the question, the person clarifies, "No, I mean where on campus do you live?" And here's where I can try to be funny and say my backpack, my car or those comfy couches in Alexander library. 
I am a commuter. Most of the time people's reactions will be something similar to, "Aw that sucks", "Why can't you dorm?" or "So how does it feel to be a commuter?" Commuting may seem and feel like one is missing out on the so called "college experience" but that is only true if you allow it. Rutgers provides endless resources and services to all of its students, including those who don't take residency on campus. 


The Off-Campus Students' Association (OCSA) is dedicated to advocating and fulfilling the needs and interests of commuters and off campus students. 
During my first semester, I would stop by at some of their events and commuter connection tables but I had never really taken the time to visit their office until the start of this semester. Located at Busch Campus Center in Room 171, the OCSA office or lounge is fully equip with a microwave, fridge, computers, several couches, a TV with video games and welcoming people. Sounds very similar to a dorm room right? Nino A., the OCSA Community Service Chair, likes to call this comfy lounge, 
"The dorm room for any off-campus student and commuter" 
It's true! The OCSA lounge/office used to be located in the Rutgers Student Center at College Ave. This past fall was their first year at Busch Campus. Having expanded more than double their original size, the lounge is a place for commuters and off-campus students to hang out, do homework, learn more about upcoming events, bring friends including on campus students and discuss any problems concerning commuter life. Click here for a virtual tour, if you haven't seen their office/lounge yet! 

As a first year and a commuter, I did find it stressful transitioning into Rutgers. My typical day consists of waking up early in order to get good parking (needs to be as close as possible to the bus stop), packing everything I need or might need (including books, clothes and food) for the day in my backpack/car, getting to school, going to classes, attending events and finally coming back home to finish up any homework or studying. When you commute, you don't always have the opportunity to check back into your dorm for a quick nap or to drop off things. In my situation, it would be a waste of gas to make frequent trips back. Commuting became stressful for me because I made it that way. I didn't realize what the OCSA had to offer. 
It isn't only a lounge for commuters and off-campus students to sit in; it's a place where you can discuss #commuterproblems. Chances are the students there have been through the same exact thing you're experiencing and know how to help. The OCSA holds these "lunch & learns" for students and representatives from Transportation Services and Commuter Life. At this event, you can gain information about parking permits/lots or discuss any commuter-related problems and how they can be resolved. First year commuters might feel like they won't get the opportunity to meet more students like one would in a residence hall. The OCSA provides many different events to combat this problem. Fliers of their semester programs can be seen in any student center. They not only welcome commuters and off-campus students but also any student in general. Nino A. stressed to me that a lot of their events are geared to the entire Rutgers community, not only one particular group, because the OCSA wants commuters and off-campus students to feel included in the university. Not only have I met more fellow commuters and fellow students through the OCSA, I have also gained a lot of information about commuting and the university through them. As one of their fliers says, 
"We strive to change the commuting mentality" 

So now when people ask where I live on campus, I will happily answer, "Busch Campus Center, Room 171. What about you?" 

1 comment: