Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

Drumline- A Movie that all college students should see!


Before going away to college, I needed to know what I was getting myself into. I tried talking to my siblings who already went to college recently. I talked to my parents, but college was somewhat different back then. I did not know where to turn. But, then I saw the move "Drumline." I gained a better understanding of what to expect when I got to college. There are many good times, but here are also some struggles in college life. Let's take a look at what this movie shows.




So, did you learn anything? You may be wondering why I showed amovie clip about a collegiate marching band. You may be thinking what does music have to do with college. Well in the movie "Drumline," Nick Cannon's character, Devon Miles is ready to make the transition from high school to college. Some people may think that it is the easiest transition in life, while others may think that it is the hardest. Well Devon was the best in high school and was praised for his talents and the way that he carried himself. So, he thought that being in collge would allow him to have the same mentality. When he stepped onto his college's campus, he was thousands of miles aways from home, he had freedom, and he thought that he would remain the best. He saw the beatuiful girls, the college parties, and being a member of a great marching band. But, soon he would begin to struggle. Some of the struggles that Devon faced were the difficulty in balancing school work and the intense schedule of a competitve collegiate band. He did not have the discipline in his work wthic and tried to fake his way to the top. Devon began to become distracted with everything that college had to offer.
Soon, Devon began to slowly lose everything that he thought was so easy to maintain. He lost his girlfriend, he had to take on more academic work, and sadly he was dismissed from the marching band.
However, positivity started to come into Devon's life. He realized that college matured him. He learned how to have discipline in his life and set morals for himself. He believed that he needed that downfall to make him a stronger person. Devon soon was able to win his girlfriend back, gain bis spot back on the marching band, and won the respect of bandmates and his director. College is a place that prepares you for life. I can relate to Devon's story.


If you watched the video above, I am in there some where. For I am a member of the Rutgers Marching Band. I can relate to Devon Mile's story. Before college I had a great time in high school. I was considered a role model and sometimes one of the best musicians. Even though I practiced humility, sometimes the praises would get to me and make me think higher of myself than I should have. When I decided to go to Rutgers, I thought that making the transition would be a piece of cake. I expected to go there with the same mindset and work ethic. But, I would soon be proved wong. When I stepped onto the campus on move in day, I realized that this was a not what I expected. This was a huge school and something that I was not accustomed to.
As the semester progressed, I did have some really good times. I made some really good friends, I actually enjoyed some of my classes, and I started to get involved at school. I liked having to be responsible for myself and practicing discipline. However, there were some hard times for me. When I started to slack off from going to the library to study, I began to not do to well on exams, my grades were not where I wanted them to be, and I started to become overwhelmed. Then on top of all of that, as a member of the marching band, I had to practice three days a week and perform at football games and other events every week. I started to think that there were not enough hours in the day to do everything.
My experience helped me realize that college is a place that changes people. I had to learn to study, balance my social and academic life, and actually get involved at school. Being a member of the band was hard. In addition to school work, I had to fight every practice to stay up to par with some of the greatest musicians. I had to prove myself on the field at every practice and game to gain respect.
I believe that college has made me a stronger individual and taught me how to have discipline in my life. Like Devon Miles, I needed some bad things to happen to me in order to realize that I needed to make a change in myself.









So my advice to you is to embrace college. There will be things that you love, but there will also be some trying times. Accept those moments and make the best of your collegiate career. If you still want or need some advice, don't hesitate to watch "Drumline."

      

No comments:

Post a Comment