Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

RA Living: Ashlee Redmond

When many people think of Resident Assistants they think of goody-goodies who get free housing, those people who unlock your door when you lose your key, or the narcs that ruin all the fun, but RAs are way more than that. RAs in conjunction with RHA help put together all the awesome events that go on in your building throughout the year and help out when your in a jam. 
Recently I had the opportunity to speak with a pretty awesome (and a colleague of mine) Ashlee Redmond.


Ashlee is a graduating senior from Maywood, NJ who is majoring in Labor Studies and Human Resource Management. In addition to being a Resident Assistant, Ashlee is also the corresponding secretary of Rutgers NAACP and a member of Tau Sigma National Honor Society.


I sat down with Ashlee to ask her a few questions about RA Living..


Why did you want to become an RA?
I was an RA at the school I transferred from, Wagner College in Staten Island NY, for a year, then I came to Rutgers and wanted to do it again because I loved my job. I just wanted to help students and be a positive role model for those around me.


What are some issues first years frequently come to you about?
First year students have a tough time adjusting to the different social atmosphere and increased school work. They also have to get acclimated to their new living situation, balancing school and home and managing their time.
 
How were your experiences with your RAs?
I love my RA's! They are very understanding and always willing to help when in stressful situations. I feel like some other buildings have issues because they don't have good chemistry but we work well with each other

What are some of the biggest challenges you face being an RA?
I don't really have any big issues, my building, which is an honors community, is very focused. I have not had to deal with any terrible situations. The biggest challenge would have to say would be getting residents out to programs, they are often so into their studying that they don't want to break their concentration so they won't attend.


Peep the cameo from our very own Kol!


Ashlee is one of those RAs who really loves her job! she gives selflessly to her residents and still successfully balances her academics and her extracurriculars. As a first year student, an RA can really impact your experience and how you feel about the University. Awesome RAs help students have an awesome experience and help make a first year student's transition into college life smoother!

Shoutout to all the awesome RAs out there!




*disclaimer: I thought I published this hours ago, but turns out I never hit publish, just preview... awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment