Pages

Friday, April 20, 2012

High School Shenanigans

RU READY FOR COLLEGE?!!

Two years ago I could have never imagined that this is what my life would be like. Thinking back into high school, I was always an upbeat, go-getter involved kind of student.  As the doors of high school were closing, I was ready to embark on a new journey to college. At that moment, I realized I needed to challenge myself to find out what I wanted my legacy to be. As a second year student here at Rutgers University, I have endured some hard times, where I learned vital lessons, and experienced some unforgettable, life changing moments, where I was changed for the better. I've matured in my thoughts, learned by example, and grown as a student leader. Since my arrival here at college, I cultivated my own motto for success. The grand question that I continued to ask myself was
“Was I better today than I was yesterday?”
As I reflect on my journey thus far I can truly say that I lead to serve others. After identifying my motives, I can proudly say that is the underlining fuel that powers my all of my actions.

For some students high school is a pivotal moment in their lives. This is a time period were many students begin to figure out who they are and what they stand for. It’s a stage in your life where you can completely rebel, mold and change the person you are, conform to others, or just simply be unchanged. The elements of high school are not the most pleasant and challenge students to really find themselves.   Such elements that exist are stereotypes, hormonal teenagers, sometimes violence, he said/she said and many more factors that impact your life. Everyone’s experience of high school is not the same because we all are unique with various differences in socioeconomic backgrounds, responsibilities, and support systems and etc. However, just having these differences does not mean that is our down fall. We need to embrace DIVERSITY (Rutgers’ favorite word). As New Student Orientation leaders, we will be faced with the challenge of making this space in the summer inclusive, united, and a warm welcoming environment for new students. 
New students are going to be coming in with a variety of different expectations and concerns. Now, I’d like to introduce you to a dazzling, ambitious young man who aspires to be a educator, a flight attendant, and a father of 3 someday- Javier J. Nicasio, a high school senior.


Skills USA New Jersey 2011 Regional Elections
 Northern Regional President 
            Javier J. Nicasio attends Passaic County Technical Institute where he is involved in numerous school activities. Javier is a part of the School of Education and Human Services which is the first step he is taking on his journey of fulfilling a career in education.  He is involved in Skills USA where he holds a state position, a member of the National Honor Society, and is a part-time cashier at the Little Falls Shop Rite. In addition, to these extracurricular activities Javier loves spending time with his dog Marley, volunteering at day cares, and imagining he is flying an airplane. 


1. Think about your high school experiences thus far. What have you enjoyed the most? What would you like to change and why? 

"I have really enjoyed my class called Child Development, where I met students with the same passion as me and bonded so much that we are now like a family.  I enjoyed being in the class of my sophomore year English teacher Mrs Bania- who always gave fun projects. I loved playing man hunt my junior year as a class prank in the hallways. Overall, it was been a good time! Things that I would change about high school is the uniform policy and how EVERYTHING was so strictly enforced."  
2. Do you want to go to college? If so, what are you looking forward to about college? 


" Yes, I want to further my education to ultimately become a teacher for middle school students. I cannot wait to get to college so I can pick my own schedule. I would much rather go to class at 12pm rather then starting my day at 8am. I'm excited about being independent and having the freedom that no one in  high school gets. I don't want anyone "holding my hand" through everything."


3. What are some of your major concerns about college? What are your biggest fears about getting there? 


" My fears would be not being able to obtain good grades because I heard that professors in college are so different. I'm also nervous about not getting a second chance if I mess up. I'm also kinda of worried about not meeting the right people. It's really easy to meet people in high school because I've been going to school with them all my life. In college I'm expecting everyone to come from so maybe different backgrounds-I'm worried they won't accept me." 




































New students just like Javier are going to be coming to orientation this summer with similar concerns and expectations. After interviewing Javier I highlighted these 3 main questions and responses that are going to help us understand new students! Our job is to make them feel comfortable and give them the tools where they’ll be able to make the right choices when they get her for their first semester. We need to make them feel at home so they can maximize their potentials and breathe, sleep, eat, and bleed SCARLET!!!


I’m proud to be a Scarlet Knight and I want everyone that walks through those doors during orientation to feel that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment